"Hey, Bert"

I have a terrible habit. Usually at night as soon as my head hits the pillow I'm already fast asleep, but on those rare occasions when I toss and turn for more than a minute, I pull a "Hey, Bert." You know what I mean. We've all seen those Bert and Ernie sketches where Ernie can't sleep so he wakes up Bert.
"Hey Bert, you asleep? You asleep, Bert?"
Eventually, Ernie wakes up Bert to tell him something insignificant and then they break into song and dance. In then end, Ernie rolls over and begins to snore while Bert remains wide awake.
I'm bad, I know. But there is just something about Ammon's voice that quickly lulls me to sleep(sorry, hon!--this is meant in the best possible way). I'm not quite sure why I do this. Maybe it's that I get frustrated when it takes more than a millisecond for me to fall asleep. Perhaps, I'm afraid of the dark and those little squeaks and taps our house makes. But most likely, it's because just laying there with my thoughts frightens me. Thoughts that tell me that I'm not smart enough, not thin enough, not ANYTHING enough!
But whatever the reason, I've found a solution and I call it my "Hey, Bert."











11 comments:
I love this post! Lynette, you are smart enough, pretty enough, funny enough. You are perfect - this blog is proof. Perfectly honest, and speaking brilliant truth - thanks for being you. I wouldn't want to be friends with any other kind of Lynette.
Awwww... that gives me warm fuzzies! thanks.
"Hey Bert" is my favorite thing that I have read in weeks! I feel like you captured my feelings exactly. Thanks-
I am super jealous that you can fall asleep so easily. The second I lay down, my brain runs a million miles a minute. Usually it's a list of all the things I need to do and haven't, but those same thoughts creep into my head too! Except in the morning, I always forget my resolution to eat better ;)
i can't begin to tell you how true this is. i am definitely the bert in this relationship.
sigh.
Ammon's the Bert in EVERY relationship! ;) Hi Lynette, good post, last night my dear wife Ernie I mean Tracie pulled a "Hey, Bert" on me, but in her defense, Bert was snoring pretty loudly, so I'm told.
There. I posted. Are we friends again?
Thank you, Austin! Your my favorite brother-in-law!
MacDaddy said...
Awww... it gives me the fuzzy and blues.
Actually, I'm more of a brush your face kind of guy.
much love
I love Ernie! And, Lynette, I think Ammon has some Ernie in him to...remember the "brake check!" episode?
Amen to that! I mean everyone's comments! I couldn't have said it better myself
Lynette, You must get this trait from me. Dad says he knows I can always sleep better when the sun is up. The darkness always makes my mind run in places of worry. Dad is an Ernie too! After neally 40 years, he still awakes and listens too! Love, Mom
Post a Comment